(excerpts from Lines Between Two Rivers)
Farmers Mutual Telephone Company was incorporated in 1907.
The Board of Directors included President, John J. McNally;
Vice-President, Rudolf Peterson; Secretary, EE Morton; Treasurer,
AL Taylor; Directors, Goodman Lee, Charles Thompson, George
Baxter, PJ Peterson and Milt Virgil. Early meetings were quite
often held in the office of the Farmers Elevator, with the
switchboard on the second floor of the Harness Shop.
In 1920, the company purchased the lines
and switchboard of CJ Johns in order to offer service to Gillett
Late in 1925, the first company-owned building
was constructed. This structure was last used as a business
office for the Don Potee gas service.
To reflect a changing industry and added services, the company's name was changed to Ayrshire
Farmers Mutual Telephone Company in 2006.
In 2015, Ayrshire
Farmers Mutual Telephone Company was purchased by Northwest Communications.